Exam 1: Rhetorical Analysis and MLA Format
For this exam you may use your Pocket Style Manual but no other texts or electronic devices. If you are using your cell phone or any other device your exam will be collected as is and you will be asked to leave. Please write complete sentences whenever appropriate.
Part one: MLA format & citations (40 pts)
- In MLA format, how are article or chapter titles indicated?
- In MLA format, how are full book titles indicated?
- Using the following information, please write the correct citation for a book with a single author:
- Medium: Print
- Author: J.K. Rowling
- Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
- Date: 2007
- Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- City: New York
- For the previous citation (question 3), explain what you would change in the citation if you were to only cite one chapter from the book instead of the whole text.
- Using the following information, please write the correct citation for a selection from an anthology:
- Date: 2008
- Anthology title: Reasoning Together
- Selection Title: “Theorizing American Indian Experience”
- Pages: 353-410
- Author: Craig S. Womack
- City: Norman, OK
- Medium: Print
- Publisher: The University of Oklahoma Press
- Editors: Craig S. Womack, Daniel Heath Justice, and Christopher B. Teuton
- Circle one: When citing a book with more than one author, the first author’s name is written
- First name Last name (Ex. John Doe)
- Last name, First name (Ex. Doe, John)
- Circle one: When citing a book with more than one author, the second author’s name is written
- First name Last name (Ex. Jane Smith)
- Last name, First name (Ex. Smith, Jane)
Part two: Short answer (60 pts)
For each of the follow questions, please write 5+ sentences explaining each one of the terms. Explain what the term means, give and explain an example from class discussion or your first paper (you do not need to cite this) and describe how it can be useful in supporting an argument.