Cause or Effect Paragraph – 50 points
Rough Draft Due __Sept 12_______ Final Draft Due _____Sept 19________
After reading Chapter 9 – Cause and Effect, write either a cause (reason) or an effect (result) paragraph using a topic of your choice. You may use the guide questions/pictures from pages 210-213.
- You need a strong topic sentence clearly stating whether you will highlight causes or effects.
- The paragraph must be 10-14 sentences (1 topic sentence + 8-12 supporting sentences and + 1 concluding sentence).
- Final Draft must be typed and double spaced using proper academic format. You also need to include at least 1 rough draft with your final copy.
- Paragraph should be free of major spelling, grammar, and mechanical errors.
- Paragraph needs to be unified and coherent.
- I will provide a grading rubric during the editing session.
Sample Topic Sentences
|Cause (Reasons)||Topic||Effect (Results)|
|I exercise regularly for a variety of reasons.||Regular Exercise||Regular exercise offers many benefits.|
|Before getting married, couples must carefully consider why the match will last.||Getting married||Getting married changed how I spend money.|
|My nephew joined the army to earn money for college, learn new skills, and serve his country.||Joining the service||Joining the service can change a person’s life.|