Complete each of the following questions.
- List 3 ways to write an introduction:
- Write a 5 sentence (4 sentences + the provided thesis) introduction which will end in one of the following thesis statements:
- Television should focus on how young adults really live.
OR (Choose one!)
- Cell phones can be an annoying piece of technology.
- The outline below has a thesis statement and details but it has no topic sentences for the body paragraphs. Read the outline and write the topic sentences.
- Thesis: Students who work while going to college face problems at school, at work, and at home.
i. Topic Sentence 1: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
- Early classes are difficult.
- I am too tired to pay attention.
- Once I slept in class.
- I have little time to do homework.
- I get behind in school assignments.
2. Topic Sentence 2: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
a. I tried to study at work.
b. I got caught by my boss.
c. I was reprimanded.
d. Sometimes I come to work very tired.
e. When I don’t have enough sleep, I can be rude to customers.
f. Rudeness gets me in trouble.
g. Another time, I had to cut work to take a makeup test.
3. Topic Sentence 3: ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
a. I work nights during the week.
b. The weekends are the only time I can study.
c. My apartment is a mess since I have no time to clean it.
d. Worse, my girlfriend is ready to kill me because I have no social life.
e. We never even go to the movies anymore.
f. When she comes over, I am busy studying.
b. Conclusion: I have learned that working students have to be very organized to cope with their responsibilities at college, work, and home.
- Write a thesis that relates to the sub-points listed.
- Dogs are extremely playful.
- Dogs need a lot of exercise which can help owners get in shape too.
- Dogs are man’s best friend.
- Going to college can help students learn important skills.
- A college degree is required for many jobs.
- At college you meet new people and explore new interests.
- For each of the follow thesis statements, write topic sentences (as many as indicated by the numbered blanks).
- Thesis: When students see a “Class Meeting Cancelled” notice posted on the classroom door, they have several reactions. (In other words, how might students react to class being cancelled?)
i. Topic sentence 1:
ii. Topic sentence 2:
- For each of the following clusters, choose which restatement most effectively restates the provided thesis.
- Thesis: Gossiping is wrong, but everybody gossips.
i. Restatement 1: ___ Gossip is a nasty but universal activity.
ii. Restatement 2: ___ Everybody gossips even though gossiping is wrong.
- Thesis: Children are secure when they live in a family with a regular routine and consistent discipline.
i. Restatement 1:___ Every child feels secure when his or her family follows a regular routine and uses consistent discipline.
ii. Restatement 2:___ When a family lives by a regular schedule and consistent rules, children feel safe.
- Circle the correct words in parenthesis in each sentence below.
- My first goal is to find a (decent, descent) apartment; (then, than) I want to meet someone (who’s, whose) (principals, principles) are the same as mine.
- The actress is so (vain, vane, vein) that she expects fresh (flours, flowers) in her dressing room every night.
- I want to take my toddler to Felipe’s wedding, but I don’t (know, no) (weather, whether) children are (aloud, allowed) at the ceremony.
- Write one sentence for each of the words below (be sure to use the words correctly):
- In the following sentences, replace each italicized word or phrase with a more precise word or phrase. Write out your completely revised sentences in the space provided.
- You need to buy a lot of potato chips for the party.
- Take Mr. Benson for English; he’s nice.